Sunday, March 13, 2016

 

Is My Living in Vain?

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain; If I can ease one life the aching, Or cool one pain, Or help one fainting robin Unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. ~ Emily Dickinson

Scripture:
His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness. Matthew 25:23 (New International Version)

One of the many jobs that I have held over the years was in the programming/production department of a local television station. There would be times I would be called upon to answer telephone calls from angry viewers when their favorite soap opera or talk show was interrupted with breaking news. There was one very disturbing observation I noticed about many of these calls, these angry callers were often the elderly and I realized that television was frequently their only company.

I was reminded of this by a television special that aired here in Detroit a few years ago, about an elderly woman named Marabel Chanin, an 87 year old woman who died alone. The story so captivated the world that it spawned a need to create a news special to discover how something like this could happen. You see, Marabel had never married or had children. Her body lay unclaimed in the Wayne County Morgue for over four months.

As I listened to her story, I discovered that one of the reasons that she had been left alone, was because she had chased away family and friends. I find it heartbreaking to think that anyone could live to be almost 88 years old and have no one to care about them in life or death.

As Christians we have been charged with loving one another. Not just ourselves or our immediate family but all whose path we will cross. I challenge you to do to take a long hard look at yourselves and ask the question; Is my Living in Vain?

Be blessed and be a blessing

Prayer:
Father God, sometimes we get so caught up with our lives and with ourselves that we fail to see the hurting world around us. My prayer to You this night is that I will see all humanity as my brothers and sisters. I choose to bless others as You have blessed me. Create in me a right spirit and help me to realize that it is not all about me. Help me O’Lord to have empathy to those who are in need and to give a portion of what has been given to me so that others can see You working in my life. Magnify the power and the presence of the Holy Spirit and allow it to light my path as I walk in a dark world so that You may be edified in the works that I do, in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?