Sunday, November 02, 2014

 

Owning Up to Your Faults

Nothing can work me damage except myself; the harm that I sustain I carry about with me, and never am a real sufferer but by my own fault.  ~ Bernard, St.

Scripture:
And he said to them, “Pick me up and throw me into the sea; then the sea will become calm for you. For I know that this great tempest is because of me. Jonah 1:12 New King James Version (NKJV)

This past weekend I heard a very interesting take on the Story of Jonah.  In the past, whenever a sermon was given regarding Jonah and his disobedience to God, it simply referenced him running away from what God wanted him to do.  However, in all the years that Jonah’s story had been related to me, I had never heard the Prophet Jonah’s story told this way before.
I had on several occasions read and heard of Jonah’s initial refusal to go to Nineveh and tell the citizens to repent of their sins or they will be destroyed. Jonah did not want the city to be saved because he felt that they weren't worthy of God’s grace and mercy. He didn't want God to forgive them so he took it upon himself to run in the opposite direction in and effort to refuse God’s directive.

What I found most interesting about this sermon was that the emphasis wasn't placed upon Jonah running away, but on the fact that he owned up to why the ship and its crew were in trouble.  He admitted he was the reason and that it was all his fault. 
How many of us are brave enough to admit that we are the catalyst for our own problems?  How many of us are willing to take the blame for causing stress and strife in the lives of others?  How many of us are willing to sacrifice ourselves for the sake of others?  How many of us would have continued to run away rather than own up to our mistakes and try to make things right.

It's not hard to find the truth. What is hard is not to run away from it once you have found it.
Be blessed and be a blessing
Prayer:
Father God, I come before the throne of grace seeking Your face and Your favor. Lord, often times I hear Your voice and tremble. I tremble because I know that I am not doing your will but rather following my own. Forgive me Lord. I pray that You would forgive me for my mistakes of yesterday and I pray that You would find favor with me once again. Lord, I come standing in the gap for my family and friends. I pray for the family who lost a mother and the family who lost a young child. So many need so much. I ask that You would comfort those who are heartbroken, assure those who are at a lost, strengthen those who are weak. Lord, help us to realize just how blessed we are. We may not have all that we want, but you continue to supply all of our needs. Lord, we just want to thank You for all that You have done in our lives and for all that You are about to do. Keep us all in perfect peace and help us to keep our minds and our hearts set on our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. In His name we pray. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?