Sunday, February 16, 2014

 

His Grace is Sufficient

Remember, God's love for us is not a love that always exempts us from Trials, but rather, a love that sees us through trials. ~ Anonymous

Scripture:
For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich man will fade away even while he goes about his business. Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:11-12

Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do the righteous suffer? These are questions that has been asked since the beginning of time. A prominent American Rabbi by the name of Harold Kushner wrote a book entitled, When Bad Things Happen to Good People.


Rabbi Kushner wrote this book as a reaction to his own personal tragedy. His son Aaron had premature aging, which he died from. This provoked a crisis of faith for Kushner, He wrote this book for people "who have been hurt by life", to help them find a faith that can aid in getting through their troubles, rather than making things worse.


In his book, Rabbi Kushner outlined the various ways that people try to salvage their view of God and His orderly world. They explain that misfortune occurs because;

-Someone made a mistake, or failed in the observance of some religious duty.
-God has a hidden purpose, or is making use of knowledge we don't have.
-Suffering itself will turn out to be good for us.
-God's purpose is in the grand design of the Universe (which is good and beautiful),not in the life of the individual.
-Suffering teaches something, either to us or to those who see us suffer.
-Suffering is a test.
-Death leads us and our loved ones to a better place.


Without getting into a long theological dissertation, for or against his arguments, I will try to summarize as best I can. The word of God never said that we didn’t have to suffer. The word of God never said that his people would be except from the cruelties of this world. The word of God does not say that we won’t be faced with pain and suffering in our lifetimes, but rather states emphatically that we can expect to suffer, in His name.

As Christians, we must accept this fact. Yes, we will suffer many things in this life. Most of which will seem unwarranted and even unfair. Even our Lord and Savior endured suffering that was not of his own doing. However, he realized in the garden of Gethsemane as he prayed to God, that suffering is sometimes a necessary process in order to die to the world and live for God.

Be Blessed

Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10

Prayer:
El-Elyon, Most High God , El-Shaddai, Almighty God, El-Olam, Everlasting God, Father, Abba, You who are my everything. Lord, sometimes we get weary and tired. There are days when life seems more than we can bear. There are nights that my pillow is covered in tears and it seems as though no one cares. Father, I have hidden Your word in my heart. I dwell and meditate on Your word night and day. I thank You Lord for Your word that strengthens me. Lord, You have said we can do all things through Christ Jesus. You have told us that You are with us always, even until the end of times. You are in the fiery furnace with, on our ship that is caught in the storm, and in the valley of death. We don't ask that You come into our hearts and lives, only that You magnify Your presence. Touch us today, our minds, our hearts, our spirits, our very souls. Keep us in perfect peace. Strengthen us once again. Father, when I grow weary from the weight of my cross, empower me and order my steps so that I may continue down the path that You have chosen. Thank You Father. Thank You Lord. For the one who first carried my cross, Christ Jesus in his name we pray. Praise God, Hallelujah, Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?