Sunday, September 25, 2011

 

Is God Trying to Tell You Something?

When God speaks, do you listen?

Scripture:
And God spoke to Israel in a vision at night and said, “Jacob! Jacob!” “Here I am,” he replied. “I am God, the God of your father,” he said. “Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there. Genesis 46:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

One of my favorite movies is the Color Purple. One of the many reasons that I enjoyed both the book and the movie versions so much is that Alice Walker created some very interesting characters who reflected strong, but flawed attributes. Although I really enjoyed most of the character portrayals, my favorite was Suge Avery.

Now one of the reasons she was a favorite is that she is a representative of many women, black, white and purple. No matter what your skin tone, you had to admire Suge. She seemed to have it all; talent, good times and a carefree attitude. Many would say she was a bad woman. I mean really, she was a juke joint singer and a hoochie coochie dancer and you might ask, why would anyone admire her?

The reasons are many but no matter if you loved or hated her, you had to admire her strong personality that allowed her to do what she thought was best for her and follow her heart. In a sense, she told the world “this is who I am and I going to do me.” Now if you think about the era in which this story takes place, this is unheard of from a woman. However, there was one person whose opinion of her she greatly desired, her father’s.

Suge’s father was a Pastor of a church; a church in the community that Suge had grown up in. When Suge decided to turn to the secular world to share her gifts, her father turned his back on her. Ultimately, this was the price she had to pay to do “her.”

In the movie there is one very pivotal scene that betrays who she really is. It is a beautiful Sunday afternoon and she says “I feel like sangin.” The next scene shows her at the juke joint surrounded by throngs of folks ready to hear her sing. She starts singing one of her favorite songs. But then, something happens.

In the distance, she hears an angelic voice singing what appears to be a song that Suge knows very well. “God is trying to tell you something.” Caught up in the moment, you can see the transformation in her taking place as both the power of the song and the Holy Spirit begin to take over. In the end, she makes her way back to the church and regains both her faith and her father’s love.

Saints, how many of you can’t sleep at night and you wonder why? Maybe God is trying to tell you something.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father God, sometimes the road ahead seems dark and lonely. I often don’t know what lies ahead and because of the unknown, I become fearful. Forgive me Lord, for not trusting in Your word. Your word that tells me, “I can do all things through Christ Jesus.” Your word that tells me, “I am more than a conqueror.” Your word that speaks to me late in the midnight hour when there is darkness all around. Help me Father to be still and listen for Your voice alone. Father, forgive me for not standing on Your word and Your promise. Your promise that has been manifested in the lives of believers for centuries. Lord, forgive me for my weaknesses and my fear. Strengthen me and magnify Your power and Your presence in my life and in the lives of all of my brothers and sisters in Christ. May the power and the light of the Holy Spirit be magnified in our hearts this day. May those who I see today, see You working in my life. Thank You Father for never giving up on me and turning Your back on me. Lord, help me to be aware of the things that I do and say today, because we never know who is watching. We come together once again joining in fellowship and prayer, asking that You would continue to bless all the families represented here, on our prayer list and in our homes. Thank You Lord, thank You Jesus, in His name we pray. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?