Tuesday, June 21, 2011

 

Help Me to Hold Out

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~ Dolly Parton

Scripture:
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:29-30 (New International Version)

Recently, as I sat listening to songs on my MP3 player, a classic by “James Cleveland” came on. The song was “Lord Help me To Hold out.” For those of you who are not familiar with the song it says; Lord, help me to hold out until my change has come.

As I listened to the lyrics of this song, it dawned on me that so often we think that being a Christian is easy. We think that once we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior that our lives will miraculously get easier. Not true. Being a Christian is anything but easy.

I mean, we are challenged daily to change almost every aspect of our lives. We must give up our sinful ways, deny ourselves and transform ourselves into Christ like beings. These modifications in our lives are a lot harder than most of us could even begin to imagine.

I mean think about it, no more lying, lusting, cheating, fornicating, and coveting. Don’t think you do any of these things? Wrong! Ever want something that belongs to another? How about envying someone else? Ever have sex outside of marriage? Or called in to work sick and you weren’t? You just wanted the day off. Or, see someone of the opposite sex and began to have lustful (tending to arouse sexual desire or interest) thoughts.

As Christians, we must learn to change who we are while in the midst of temptations. We are confronted with the 7 deadly sins on a pretty regular basis. Those sins are;

Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity. Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body. Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath. Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness. Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

It is for this reason that we must ask God daily to help us to resist or in this case, Hold out until our transformation or CHANGE has come.

Be Blessed

My way may not be easy, You did not say that it would be, When it gets dark, Can't find my way, You told me to put my trust in thee.

Prayer:
Father God, I come before the throne of grace professing my faith and my belief that Jesus Christ died and was raised from the dead. I profess that he is my Lord and Savior. Jesus is my great Intercessor. I believe that God made the great sacrifice of his only begotten Son so that I could be reconciled to His wonderful kingdom. Thank You Lord. Father God, it is because of my faith and beliefs that I can hold on to Your word and Your promises. Jesus said, "that He would never leave me nor forsake me". You said "that You would pour me out a blessing that I would not have room to receive. I believe that You are making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. I will sing a new song because You have done and or are about to do wonderful things in my life. Thank You Jesus. You have said "That former things have passed away and You have declared a new thing! Thank You Lord. You said, "Hold On!. Father, I am hold fast to Your unchanging hand. I am holding fast to Your word. I am developing patience in the midst of it all. Lord, I just want to praise You this day. I just want to thank You Father. I come thanking You not only for what You have done, but also for what You are about to do in my life and in the lives of my family, friends, brothers and sisters in Christ, but most of all; for what You are about to do in the lives of the Body of Christ. We bless Your Name Lord. We lift Your Name on High. Glory Hallelujah, Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Thank You Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in whose name we pray, Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?