Monday, April 18, 2011

 

You Too Can be a Hero

Remember, a hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” ~ Christopher Reeves

Scripture:
O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:19-21 (New International Version)

Hero is from the Greek language and in mythology and folklore, a hero were characters that in the face of danger and adversity, from a position of weakness displayed courage and the will for self-sacrifice. That is, heroism, for some greater good, originally of martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.

I am not much of a TV person but last year there was one program that captivated me. It was called “Heroes.” It was about a group of people who discovered that had extraordinary powers and overcame adversities to save the world.

Many of the “Heroes” had dark secrets, were unsure of the powers, had questionable pasts or were too afraid to reveal their “secret” fearing how others would judge them. Now if you took away their powers, they were just ordinary people just like you and me. It was the gifts that they discovered they had that made them “Heroes.”

Did you know that you have extraordinary gifts too? You might be a person who has the gift of compassion and are willing to help others around you. Maybe you have the gift of mentoring; reaching out to help a lost child find their way in life. Or maybe, you have the gift friendship. You are there to help a friend in need. Be it listening to them, helping them out in some way or just lending a shoulder to cry on. Maybe you have discovered your gift yet. Not because it doesn’t exist, but rather because you haven’t looked inside yourself to discover what it is.

A Hero isn’t defined simply as having supernatural powers, but rather having the strength to overcome, do and give in supernatural ways. You may not even realize that you are someone else’s hero, and just like the TV heroes, maybe you are unsure of your strength, your ability or your power.

There is a Hero inside of you. All you have to do is find him.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father God, I declare and stand on Your word that says I can do all things through Jesus Christ who strengthens me. I have been commissioned to do great things in the name of the Lord. I claim my gifts today and pledge to use them for the furthering of the kingdom. Lord, I am weak, but You are strong. I can move mountains in your name. Help me to build a mountain of compassion, of friendship and of caring for those who are in need. May I pause today to help someone else besides myself and build roads that lead home to You. Father, help me to discover my inner power so that I can be an angel that helps someone else through this journey called life. May I always remember to share a portion of what has been given to me, even if its just the gift of time. Thank You Father for my blessings. Thank You Lord for Your word that guides me each and every day. I love You Lord, and I submit this prayer in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?