Monday, February 21, 2011

 

Displaying an Act of Kindness

Remember, Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence, or learning. ~ Frederick W. Faber

Scripture:
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12 (New International Version)

A few years ago after picking up my youngest son from our neighborhood Boys and Girls Club, I dropped him off at the local McDonald’s while I ran into a nearby grocery store. My son Joseph had asked for a few dollars to get something to eat to tide him over until I could go home and prepare dinner. When I finished making my purchases and exited from the store, I saw my son standing by my car.

I was a little surprised to see him so soon and asked had he gotten his burger? He response was, “yes, but I gave it to a homeless man who was sitting inside the restaurant. He looked hungry so I gave him my burger.” I was pleasantly shocked.

You see, on several different occasions my son had been with me when people asked us for money. I have always tried to make it a habit to give them something. Usually, I give the money to my son to give to the person asking. He once asked why I gave our money away.

I explained to my son that most homeless people aren’t homeless by choice. Something happened in their lives that created their current condition. I further explained that yes, many of them where on drugs or alcoholics, but that it is not our place to judge them. We don’t know what caused them to turn to drugs or alcohol, and maybe, just maybe by showing them some compassion, it might just give them a little bit of hope to try to change things.

Now some people would call us foolish, stating that they were just going to buy more drugs or alcohol. My position is this, maybe they won’t. How can we expect anyone to change if they don’t see any hope around them?

My baby boy is learning how to be compassionate. He saw a man in need and gave all that he had.

Isn’t that a great lesson for all of our children to learn?

Be Blessed.

Prayer:

I complained I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. Lord, so often we complain about how difficult our lives are without realizing just how blessed we are. We complain about our jobs, without thinking about the man or woman who wished they had one. We complain about are spouses, but give nary a thought to the man or woman who cries out every night for a mate. We complain about our children, without giving thought to the woman who can never bear her own. Lord, forgive me for my complaints. Thank You Lord, for all of my many blessings. I thank You for my job, my children, my home, my family and my friends. Thank You Father for the roof that has been provided over my head. Thank You Lord, for the food on my table. Thank You Father for all the little things that I so often take for granted. Thank You Lord, for my children, who are a gift from You. Thank You Lord, for the compassion that You show to me, a sinner who was destined for hell. But You saw me and reached out to me. For that I am grateful. I give thanks to You oh great Jehovah, for giving me the eternal gift of life through Your Son, Jesus Christ. It is in His name that we submit this prayer. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?