Sunday, May 09, 2010

 

The Understanding of a Child

Remember, Yearn to understand first and to be understood second. ~ Beca Lewis Allen

Scripture:
For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you. Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse, Proverbs 2:10-12

As a mother of two boys, I am constantly being asked, why? “Why are you short, why does the rain fall? Why is the sky blue?” I’m sure you get the picture. As my children have aged over the years, the questions have gotten a little more serious. “Why don’t certain people like us? Why did they shoot that man? Why are people so cruel?”

Both of my boys have gained a certain amount of knowledge by asking questions, observing others, attending school, and attending church. Recently, my youngest son has started asking me some pretty serious questions about God. One question in particular took me by surprise. He asked, “Why did God let His Son die?

At first, I wasn’t quite prepared to answer his question for fear of giving him the wrong answer. Then I realized that he was really old enough to understand the truth about the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, for the first time. I explained as best I could that the world had gotten so bad, that God wanted and needed to get rid of sin once and for all.

I told him that in the past, men would sacrifice an animal as a way to atone for their sins. It was man’s way of telling God he was sorry. The problem was, that man was saying he was sorry but not really meaning it. Kinda like he told me he was sorry, without meaning it when I made him say it.

God realized that men had said he was sorry far too often without meaning it and so their sacrifices didn’t hold the same meanings that they were originally meant for. God didn’t let His son die, He allowed Him to be given as a sacrifice so that all men could say they were sorry and mean it.

Why did God let His Son die? To save you and me!

Be Blessed

Prayer:
My forever faithful Father, my Rock, my Strength, my redeemer, Lord, I thank You for allowing Your Son to die, so that my sons can have the gift of eternal life. Thank You Lord, for realizing that I am too weak to do this all by myself. I know that there is nothing that I could ever do or say to gain access to the throne on my own and that it was Your Love for me, Your gift that grants me access. Father God, I thank You for the knowledge that comes with the reading of Your word. I thank You for the death and resurrection of Your only begotten Son. Given with all sincerity and total unselfishness. Thank You Lord, for second change. Continue to cover Your saints in the Blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ, it is in His Name we pray. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?