Sunday, May 23, 2010

 

Dealing with Rejection

Remember, “Do not waste yourself in rejection; do not bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Scripture:
For the LORD will not reject his people; he will never forsake his inheritance. ~ Psalm 94:14 (New International Version)

A few years I had to learn a very important lesson about rejection. As many of you may know, I have always had the desire to become an a writer. Not just any old kind of writer, but a Christian writer who has a very powerful story to tell.

One of my manuscripts had been rejected by an agent. Now this was not the first time one of my stories was rejected, but for some reason, I took this rejection very hard. The rejection came from a literary agent who I have great respect for. Secretly, deep down I already knew that she was going to reject it. However, it didn’t lesson the pain I felt.

The reality of my situation was the fact that it was actually the third rejection that I had received for three different types of submissions over the course of three weeks. It caused me to question my writing ability. Sure, I have published other pieces, but the story that was rejected that day was very personal to me. I had put so much of me into it, that it felt as though I was being rejected right along with my manuscript.

Two very close and dear friends who also happen to be my editors called to comfort me and offer their input and support. As they counseled me through my dilemma I began to see the rejection in a totally new light. The first lesson was that it was nothing personal and the second lesson was that my rejection wasn’t necessarily a rejection of my talent, but rather one person’s opinion of one particular story.

So saints, my lesson for today is this. Everyone will not see what you see in the creation of your work. When I say creation of work, I am not just talking about writing, painting, or things of that sort. Everything that we do in life is our creation. When you go to work everyday and do a job, that’s a creation. When you instill values and morals in your children, that’s a creation. When you share the word of God, that’s a creation.

Everything that we do in life is a manifestation of our creativity. Sometimes we create a beautiful masterpiece that is appreciated by others, but then there will also be times when no one but you will be able to see the beauty of your work. The point is that we never stop creating.

Rejection is a part of life. Accepting it and moving on is the real secret.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father God, I come to You with a heavy heart. Today, I felt that that I was being rejected and began to question my talents and abilities. I forgot that my talents were a gift from You. I failed to realize that there will be those who cannot see and appreciate my gifts. But then I remembered, that the world didn’t give me my gift, You did. Thank You Father for the gift of Your written word. Lord, help me to remember that my gift isn’t for my own personal gain, but rather it is to be used for the furthering of Your kingdom. If my written word touches just one person, then I know that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, spreading the good news of the Gospel. Lord, someone besides me needs to be reminded that not everyone will accept us. Just as Jesus Christ was not accepted by everyone. Lord, continue to guide and direct us on this earthly journey. Help us always to remember that as long as You are at the forefront of everything that we do. It is then that we must realize that as long as You are leading and directing our paths, we can do anything but fail. Thank You Father for this reminder. Thank You Lord for Your son, Jesus Christ. It is in Him name that we pray. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?