Wednesday, February 10, 2010

 

Pushing Past the Pain

Painful as it may be, a significant emotional event can be the catalyst for choosing a direction that serves us-and those around us - more effectively. Look for the learning. ~ Louisa May Alcott

Scripture:
Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14 (New International Version)

This is the time of year when it’s not unusual to hear someone complaining about their aches ands pains. This is because in January, people often make resolutions that include losing weight by exercising. The challenge that most people with face is the aches, pains and strains associated with using certain muscle groups that haven’t been used in a very long time. The longer they have been sedentary, the harder it will become to stick with a regular exercise routine.

Now if they are smart and have the resources to do this, some will hire a personal trainer to help them reach their targeted goals. A personal trainer actually serves two purposes. The first one is to show us the correct way to do certain exercises and the second is to keep us motivated and help us push past the pain. You see, most of us are quick to quit when things become too painful.

This analogy also hold true in our everyday life as well. When relationships become too painful, we quit. When a job or task becomes too hard, we give up or quit. When our marriages begin to falter, so often it’s easier to just quit and walk away then to stay and fight. Even when we are faced with accomplishing our goals; just because other have told us “kid, you don’t have what it takes” or “I’m sorry, your book just wasn’t good enough.” Whenever we see that big old scary word DENIED, we are ready to pack up our bags and run to the safety of our own little corners rather then face the pain of rejection.

Today’s word simply states that Paul knew that he hadn’t reached his goal and that the journey sometimes will become painful. However he knew that at the end of his journey, there was a prize there waiting for him. He counted it all joy the pain he had already suffered and therefore he would continue to press on or push past the pain because he already knew, the victory was his!

You too have a personal trainer and his name is Jesus Christ. He can keep you motivated and can help you push past the pain.

Be blessed

PRAYER:
Father, when I look around me and see the beauty of Your creation, I realize that I have truly been blessed. I see the glow of the morning sun rising in the distance, I feel the coolness of the morning breeze, and I listen to the wind, whistling near my ear, and I just want to say thank You. Father, recent events have made me stop and look around at where I am and see from where I have come, but most of all, they allow me to see where I am going. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Lord, I come thanking You for the friends and fellowship that have been formed because of You. I thank You Lord for bringing so many wonderful Christians into my life whose love and support keep me going. They let me know that I am not on this spiritual journey alone and that You are with me always. Father, thank You for my angels who help me to fly when I forget I have wings. Thank You Lord, for all the prayer warriors that You have brought together in the name of Jesus. Glory to God, Hallelujah, Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?