Sunday, November 15, 2009

 

Is Your Frontward View in Focus?

The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are, but in what direction are we moving. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Scripture:
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14 (New International Version)

Recently, I had become discouraged in pursuing my dream. Although I have accomplished many great things, I have also encountered a number of setbacks. Plans that have been made haven’t always worked out the way I had envisioned them. And since, I am only human; I become discouraged sometimes and just feel like giving it all up.

This morning as I was preparing for church, I felt the need to visit my old church home. There was nothing special that prompted this feeling, only the thought that I had not been there in awhile and it would nice to visit.

I immediately felt at home as I was greeted from the onset my old friends whom I did not realize had been missed. As I sat in the congregation feeling like I was home for the holidays, I realized that one of the very reasons I had begun to write was due to the many lessons I had received at the feet of a great leader, Reverend Joseph R. Jordan. It was his guidance in my early Christian walk that inspired me to thirst after the word of God and want to share that same word that gave me so much comfort, with others.

However, I was not to be blessed with his words of encouragement, but rather by a very dear friend who also happens to be a minister. Reverend Robert Davis, Jr. As Reverend Davis delivered the word today, I realized why I had been prompted to visit today and it was because the word that Reverend Davis spoke today was just for me. Or, at least it felt that way.

Reverend Davis’s word for today was from the book of Romans and I was reminded to stay focused on the things that are important and not to lose sight of what we are called to do.
I became a writer because I love sharing the word of God with others. I enjoy knowing that many of the things that I write about inspire and encourage others on their own spiritual journeys. I do what I do, because I have been charged with sharing the Word of God with others and so that they too can be reminded of just how good God is.

So today I challenge each and every one of you to not lose focus on what you are charged to do. Rather, keep your eyes on the prize!

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father, sometimes I forget that I am here to do a work for You. I slip and think that what I do is all about me. I now realize that nothing I do or say is about me. I must always be mindful that it is about my Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus. Forgive me Lord for my arrogance and my self-serving nature. Help me Father God to always be mindful to do what I have been charged to do and that is to touch the lives of others so that they too can get to know You as I do. Thank You Lord for bringing people into my life who remind me of my duties and responsibilities to the body of Christ. Thank You Lord, for trusting and believing in me enough to save me and using me to bless others. Thank You God, most of all for the greatest gift of all, Your Son. It is His name I submit this prayer, Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?