Monday, June 08, 2009

 

How Hungry are You?

Hunger is the handmaid of genius. ~ Mark Twain

Scripture:
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy. Matthew 5:5-7 (New International Version)

Have you ever been hungry and unable to eat? Maybe your cabinets were bare and you didn’t have the money to buy anything. You sat back and thought about ways to get some food. As a young woman living in my first apartment, I would simply go home to my parents and eat with them. Now that my parents are gone, that option no longer exists so I have to come up with other options.

I now have a family of my own and I am responsible for making sure that I provide for them. That’s one of the reasons I have a job. You know, so I can provide food shelter and clothing to those under my care. However, there have been times during my adult when I either didn’t have a job or it just didn’t provide enough for my needs. So I had to come up with new ways to provide for mine.

Hunger is defined as craving or urgent need for food or a specific nutrient. Now for me and mine, food is usually pretty prevalent in our home and we often times have more then we can eat. However, there are times when I may crave something, even when I am not hungry. I may have an urgent desire for something that’s not in my refrigerator and sometimes, I can’t even define what it is I crave. It’s at times like these that I find myself eating, not out of hunger but out of a need to satisfy a craving I can’t quite put my finger on.

This hunger or craving exists in other areas of my life as well. Sometimes, I will have a need for something but can’t quite put my finger on it. In the past when this craving reared its ugly head I would go out into the world seeking and trying different things trying to fulfill a craving I couldn’t identify.

Then I one day, I met Jesus and He satisfied all of my cravings.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father God, often times we look to the world to fulfill an emptiness inside of us we have no name for. We search high and low for that thing that will make us feel whole. We turn to drugs, sex and alcohol for a momentary escape and to satisfy a need if only for a moment. Lord, it was not until I met You on my life’s journey that my worldly cravings were quieted. It was You who made me feel whole, happy and content. It was You who fed me when no one else could. Thank You Lord, for Your Word. Your word that completes me. Your word that nourishes me. Father God, I thank You for finding me and blessing me and my household. May my words and actions be guided by Your word. We bless You Lord, and submit this prayer, in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?