Monday, May 25, 2009

 

Out of Egypt

Traveling is not just seeing the new; it is also leaving behind. Not just opening doors; also closing them behind you, never to return. But the place you have left forever is always there for you to see whenever you shut your eyes. ~ Jan Myrdal

Scripture:
The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey—the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. Exodus 3:7-8 (New International Version)

The decedents of Moses were a chosen people. They were chosen by God because Moses, whom they descended from, was a faithful follower of God who never questioned whatever it was God wanted him to do. Whatever, whenever and however God wanted it done, Moses was his man.

There are those of us who wish we could be more like Moses. Obedient to the point that we would never question anything God told us to do. However, I know I am not that faithful. I sometimes question what it is God wants me to do. What I do know is that God wants for me is to turn away from sin once and for all. Turning away or leaving sin is a lot harder than we want for it to be.

Personally I know that there are still some things that I do that are not pleasing to God. I still have a sinful nature and periodically, I find myself doing or saying things that I know are contrary to being a Christian. Especially when I find myself tempted by certain situations.

Just like the children of Israel, when the going gets tough, I sometimes think that where I came from has to be easier than where I find myself. I sometimes lack the necessary faith that God wants me to have and will look to my past to make it through to my future.

What I find interesting about the above quote was that it said even when I have left my past and shut the door behind me, all I have to do is close my eyes and I see my past right there in front of me. And so it is with our sins. All we have to do is think about our past sins, and there it is; right in front of my eyes.

So my question for you today is, even though you have left Egypt, is Egypt still in you?

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Father, sometimes I think it would be so easy to return to my wicked ways. Satan would have me to believe that my past has to be my present. But Your word tells me that the sins of my past are just that, in my past. Lord, help me always to look forward and not to look backwards. Hold my hand as I continue my journey out of Egypt and into the Promised Land. Crossing the wilderness is a journey; a journey into a land of milk and honey. I know that the road I travel is not an easy one, but it is the same one that Joshua traveled and I have the faith and the will to persevere. Thank you Father for the supplication of Your word that would give me the strength to get there. Thank You Father for the power of the Holy Spirit which resides in my heart so that I know that I am never alone. Thank You Lord for my comforter, Jesus Christ. It is in His most Holy name that we pray. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?