Sunday, November 09, 2008

 

Doing What God wants me to do

The time is always right to do what is right. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr

Scripture:
I will provide grass in the fields for your cattle, and you will eat and be satisfied. Be careful, or you will be enticed to turn away and worship other gods and bow down to them. Then the LORD's anger will burn against you, and he will shut the heavens so that it will not rain and the ground will yield no produce, and you will soon perish from the good land the LORD is giving you. Deuteronomy 11:15-17 (New International Version)

So often we are influenced by things other than God. What I mean by this statement is that there will be times in your lives that we will go against the very things that God does or does not want us to do. For example, as I arose this morning and prepared to go somewhere other than the house of the Lord, I found that I couldn't do it.

As I jumped in my car and headed to a breakfast that could possibly further my abilities as a writer, I found myself headed off to church instead. At that moment I couldn't tell you why, but during service the reason became clear. God had a word for me this morning that was just for me. It was time to come home.

You see, for the past couple of years my commitment to church had begun to wane. I found myself going to church less often. At first, my excuse was that Sundays were the only day I could devote to study for school. The irony in this statement is that I am pursuing a degree in religion. However, this year I have been unable to return to my studies and I began to come up with a new set of excuses; none of them really valid.

As I sat in my seat this morning listening to the man of God, I realized that I have not been doing what God wanted me to do. And that is, worshiping Him and fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I realized that even though I thought I had been doing what I was supposed to do, in reality, I wasn't. I have been trying to live my life around Him and He was no longer at the center of all that I do.

Yes, I have made some strides in my life without attending church, but I also realized that I have begun doing things that are outside of His will. In my pursuit to do what I wanted, I found myself doing things that I shouldn't. And that ain't right. I was no longer doing God's will. I realized in order to maintain God's blessings, I must return and do His will, not mine.

So brothers and sisters always remember, the will of God will never take where the grace of God cannot keep you, Where the arms of God cannot support you, Where the riches of God cannot supply your needs, Where the power of God cannot endow you.

Be blessed

Prayer:
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?