Tuesday, September 09, 2008

 

Getting Angry With God

It's okay to get angry with God. He can take it. ~ Regina Brett

Scripture:
Why has your heart carried you away, and why do your eyes flash, so that you vent your rage against God and pour out such words from your mouth? Job 15:12-13 (New International Version)

Today I received a series of quotes from a very dear friend. The quote noted above, immediately caught my attention. As I read it, I was immediately convicted. Yes, right now I am angry with God. This isn’t the first time this emotion has surfaced. I have gotten angry with Him about a lot of things.

You see, sometimes life can seem so unfair. We do everything we think God wants us to do and still, bad things happen. In our anger, our first response it to question God. Why? When we don’t get the answers that we want, we become angry. We get mad. We sometimes turn that anger towards God for allowing our suffering. The key to getting over this type of anger is not to hold on to it.

As I have mentioned before, sometimes suffering is a necessary process in order for our faith to grow. We don’t want it, don’t like it and often will fight against it. Sometimes it’s necessary to get not only our attention, but also the attention of others around us. And sometimes it will force us to have “that” conversation with God we may have been neglecting to have.

As a Christian there will be times when you may become angry with God. Abraham did, Job did, Daniel did and even Jesus cried out in anguish as he hung on the cross that fateful day, “about the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Matthew 27:46 (New International Version)

Sometimes is feels as though God has turned His back on us. But know this, even in the midst of suffering, He will never leave us nor forsake us if we would just put our trust in Him.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Merciful Lord of life, I lift up my heart to You in my suffering, and ask for your comforting help. I know that You would withhold the thorns of this life, if I could attain eternal life without them. So, I throw myself on your mercy, resigning myself to this suffering. Grant me the grace to bear it and to offer it in union with your sufferings. No matter what suffering may come my way, let me always trust in You. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?