Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 

A Child's Tantrum

Scripture:
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children Ephesians 5:1

Saints,
I have often said that God gives us children so that we can see our relationship with him as our heavenly Father more clearly. You see, he is our parent and the way he sees and deals with us is often how we see and deal with our own children. So often something that my children might do or say really brings home how I think God sees us. Recently, I had one of those divine revelations in dealing with my own son, Joseph.

Joseph recently had a birthday. He turned nine years old on Tuesday. A big boy who had just told me the day before, that I didn't need to walk him to the front door of the school. He already knew where to go. Well, my big 4th grader really dealt me a blow on Tuesday.

You see, my financial situation has changed drastically and I had explained to Joseph that I wouldn't be able to do very much for his birthday. I had however managed to buy him a bike that I gave to him early because he hadn't made any friends in our new neighborhood yet. My ex-sister-in-law even took cupcakes to school for me so that he could have a little celebration with his classmates.

That evening I heard Joseph crying. When I asked him what was wrong, he said that no one had made his day special. He was sad because I couldn't give him a party or take him out to celebrate like I normally do. I was hurt, angry, sad, and mad all at the same time. You see, I had done what I could for my son given the situation. I still sacrificed so that I could buy him something for his birthday and I tried to explain to him beforehand why I couldn't do more.

How Joseph reacted to his birthday is how we so often react to God's blessings. You see, my brothers and sisters, we want God to recognize our requests. Sometimes his gifts or his blessings come early, late, or even in a different form. Sometimes his blessings aren't what we asked for but it's what God blessed us with at that time. Rather than be content with whatever blessing has come our way, we get angry and mad or even sad because our blessing wasn't what we thought it should be.

Saints, before you get angry and start crying like a child because you didn't get what you wanted, stop and think about what you did get from your Father. Health, strength, a right mind, food, shelter, clothing, and the greatest gift of all; SALVATION!

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Lord, forgive me for the not being grateful for my blessings. Forgive me Lord, for becoming angry when I don't get what I asked for when I ask for it. Forgive me Lord, for not thanking You for my gifts yesterday. The give of life. The gift of Love. The gift of the Holy Spirit and so much more. Lord, Sometimes we act as little children, refusing to grow up in our faith and pouting over things that we cannot understand. Lord, I want to grow in grace and grow in faith. Lord, I am sorry for not being a more mature Christian. I am sorry for not acknowledging how much You do for me. Lord, I just want to thank You. Because just like we forgive our children and get over their temper tantrums, You forgive me and overlook my faults. Thank Lord. Father, I ask that You continue to touch my brothers and sisters in Christ. Grant them the desires of their hearts. Bless them as only You can. Thank You Father, Bless You Father. In the name of Jesus, we pray. Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?