Monday, May 29, 2006

 

What kind of Example Are You Setting?

Scripture:
Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. Titus 2:6-8

Recently, I visited with a younger cousin and as we talked and reminisced about growing up, she told me how she had always looked up to me. I was ashamed for a moment about the person I used to be.

You see, what she looked up to me for were all the wrong things. She told me how glamorous I always looked. The expensive clothes and shoes I used to wear. She told me how she wanted to date the kind of men I did, the ones who drove flashy cars, rode motorcycles and brought me gifts of jewelry and roses.

She told me how she wanted to go to the clubs with me and party and have as much fun as I seemed to be having. What she didn't know was the price I had to pay for that lifestyle. What I didn't realize was that she, my younger sisters and other younger female cousins were watching me.

Just as we read in the above scripture, we who are the elders, in our families and in our churches, must set the good example. Others are watching us. Others aspire to be like us. That goes for men and women alike.

When I was young, I was not setting a good example at all. You see ladies, not only must we be a good example for our blood sisters, we must set a good example for all of the young ladies coming up in the world. I know mothers are the one we should look up to, but guess what? Our sisters, cousins, neighbors, and other young ladies that are around you, may be looking at you as their role model. Are you being good role model and leading by example?

Prayer:
Father, I come once again asking that You would forgive me of my sins. In my Youthful arrogance, I did not realize that others were watching and learning from me. Forgive me Lord, for leading others astray. Father, teach me to walk in Your word, to be a living testimony to You and not to the sins of this world. Father, may the things that I do and say be acceptable in Your sight. May others see You light shining in me. Teach me Lord to hide Your word in my heart. Father, we come asking that You would continue to bless Your saints. Breath on us Lord, cleansing us, renewing Your power and Your strength within us and healing us. Bless Your name Lord. We thank You Lord as we ask and submit our prayers in the Blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ, Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?