Wednesday, May 03, 2006

 

Are We Wounding Our Own Children?

Scripture:
Leah conceived again and bore Jacob a sixth son. Then Leah said, "God has presented me with a precious gift. This time my husband will treat me with honor, because I have borne him six sons." So she named him Zebulun. Genesis 30:19-21

A few weeks ago, I received the soundtrack from the motion picture, "Madeas Family Reunion." There was a song by Rachelle Farrell, entitled, "Wounds in the Way", that so enthralled me that I had to write an article about it. http://bwmmag.com/magazine/content/view/631/193/.

Since hearing this song, I wanted all of the lyrics to it. Well, I think I finally got them all, give or take a few.

In one stanza of the song, the words become both disturbing and enlightening, they say:
"If they would have treated a little girl, a little boy when they were still just a baby, with some respect and human dignity, maybe there wouldnt be so many failed relationships, they might even had a ghost of a chance of just loving each other, body, mind and soul."

It causes me to ponder the question, as parents, what are we doing that will wound our own children?

You see I ask this question because we are constantly seeing the breakdown of the family unit. Even my children and I are one of those statistics being that I am a single parent raising my sons alone. As a matter of fact, the epidemic of the single-parent household in America, is staggering.

The reasons for this phenomenon are numerous and well as diverse, but ultimately, how each parent deals with the situation, does ultimately have an impact on the future of their own children. Our relationships both with the one another as parents and how we deal with others in dating or even re-marriage situations will leave a lasting impression with our children.

Jesus said for us to love one another with the Love of God. Now some of you may not want to hear this, but this includes the mother or father of your children. No matter what the differences are between the parents, we must show our children what love, understanding, compassion, responsibility and relationships are truly grounded in. The Love and forgiveness of our own Savior, Jesus Christ.

So remember, in order for us not to create, perpetrate, and inflict new wounds upon our children, we must learn not to pass along our own wounds to our children. The Wounding, begins and ends with you.

Be Blessed

Prayer:
Lord, help me to realize that my actions will ultimately have a lasting affect on my children. Do not allow my heart to be hardened against their mother/father so that my children can see the love of Christ manifested in every situation. Help me to remember that at one time, I did love my spouse/significant other and that I will hold on to those memories for the sake of my child. My child, who is a rare and precious gift from You. Lord, I ask that You would touch the minds and hearts of all parents so that each of us commits to being the responsible parent that You would have us to be. Teach me forgiveness Lord, for things that have happened in the past and even if their mother/father doesnt live up to their responsibility, I will. For I have the Love of Christ deep down in my heart. Thank You Father, for loving me even when I dont feel loved by anyone else. Thank You Lord, for keeping me and being my ever present help in the time of trouble. I love You Lord, with all that I am, and I commit this day, to share the love of Christ with my own children, to love and serve the Lord even more than I do. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

Footnote: The lyrics for "Wounds in the Way", can be found in Mamajacqs kitchen.
http://virtuousliving.com/wst_page6.html

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?