Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Spare the Rod

Scripture:
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him. Proverbs 13:24 NIV

Some time ago as I halfheartedly listened to the news, I heard a story that disturbed me greatly. A mother who whipped her son, who was acting up in school, was arrested for 3rd degree child abuse and fired from her job.

It seems, that she hit him several times on his legs with a belt for acting up in school and now she is the criminal. Now, we may not truly know the entire circumstances of what happened, but from what I gather from the story, I didn't see anything excessive.

Personally, I am so tired of hearing about how bad our children are, how they are out of control in the schools, in the homes, and in the streets. You hear stories about how parents, especially mothers, are afraid of their own children. Some teachers, and school administrators will be some of the first to say how they don't want to be bothered with certain children because they cannot teach them because they are so out of control.

Everyone, especially children need to understand that there are consequences for everything that we do. Some good, some bad. God repeatedly tells us how important it is to do what he has commanded us to do. When we become hard headed and decide to do what we want to do instead of what God has commanded us to do, we too must suffer the consequences. I would hate to think of what my life would be like if ever there was someone who tried to chastise my heavenly father for loving me enough to discipline me.

Prayer:
Father, we come this morning to thank You for loving us enough to discipline us. I know that personally, I step outside of You will and do what I want instead of doing what You have commanded me to do. It is during those times of chastisement, that I realize just how much You love me and only what the best for me. Your kingdom, Your inheritance, my place beside Your son in heaven. Father, we know that we don't always do what is right in Your sight, but we come asking that You continue to forgive us and never stop loving us. Lord, we thank You for Your continuing love, Your blessings, and fresh grace with the dawning of each day. Father, we come standing in the gap for one another. Watch over all of Your saints this day. Hiding us all under the wings of Your protection. We thank You lord, as we ask these things in the name of Jesus. And all the saints say, Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?